We cling to and cherish what constants we can find in our lives.
Well…..maybe not death and taxes…but most of ‘em.
For example, these are some of the verities upon which I depend;
- Melinda Dillon will forever be Ralphie’s mom, possessor of all wisdom concerning the ocular hazards of Red Ryder BB guns.
- Richard Dreyfus will forever haunt the drive-in restaurant and eat popsicles with Wolfman Jack and just miss life-diverting appointments with Suzanne Somers.
- Francois Truffault will forever make films about making films with Jacqueline Bissett and the exquisite Valentina Cortese in the totally sunny South of France.
- Terri Garr will forever be Buck Henry’s befuddled date in the Steve Martin comedy short; The Waiter.
- Bob Balaban will always be an outraged community orchestra director in Blaine, Missouri.
I sleep better knowing these things are forever true.
Then along comes Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Everything I thought I knew about these people…forget it.
Plus, there are visitors from outer space pickin’ up hitchhikers.
Double plus, I can hum the alien theme song.
I love it.